Friday, October 25, 2013

20 down, 20 to go! Halfway to Tiny Schmidt.

Well after a few weeks of (again) feeling like this whole pregnancy thing wasn't really happening to us, we were glad to have our 20-week (aka HALF WAY THERE!) scan on Monday. I've attached the ultrasound of this beautiful baby. Okay, it really looks like a Halloween prop, but humor us!
 

20 week scan

12 week scan

Our ultrasound tech Diane was amazing. She literally showed us everything from the ventricles in Tiny's brain to the entire spine vertebra by vertebra to ten tiny fingers and ten toes. We know there's no cleft lip, no sign of Down's, the kidneys are working well and the baby is swallowing amniotic fluid like he should. She is totally average in terms of size and growth rate, which we're thrilled about. To my eye dork friends, Diane even showed me the lenses and orbital bones. My goodness.

Going against both of our Type A personalities, we decided to NOT find out if Tiny is a boy or girl. The tech put it well when she said "it’s like a Christmas present... part of you wants to know but it'll be so much more fun on the day if you don't!" Besides, both of us like the thought of having more gender neutral stuff in case we decide to go through this circus again someday.

We’ve been taking weekly belly pictures and all I can say is WOW, I underestimated how big I'd get! Chris has been so incredibly supportive and kind… I am so thankful for him.  I’ll occasionally catch him staring at my belly with his jaw open (how did you get this BIG?!) but I do the same so can’t really blame him. 

My first trimester food aversions are pretty much gone, or at least to the point that I can now be in the same room as an avocado.  More recently I have gone through some (thankfully short-lived) cravings.  The first was instant ramen noodles.   I was shocked to see their price had nearly tripled (40 cents?!) from  the time I was in school.  So much for your body knowing what you need, huh?  Surely that baby didn’t need 212% of my daily sodium and zero vitamins in one bowl of (40 cent?!) noodles.  The second craving was for kettle cooked salt & cracked pepper potato chips.  I rarely eat chips, and never that kind, so am not even sure how I realized I wanted needed them.  The lowest point, at least so far, was three weeks ago when I changed into yoga clothes for a 5 PM class, grabbed my car keys, and then thought   “I wonder how hard it is to make doughnut holes.”  Twenty minutes later I glanced at the kitchen clock just as it turned to 5:00; I was rolling just-fried doughnuts in a bowl of powdered sugar.   The worst part about this story (other than skipping yoga to make doughnuts) is that Chris had a flag football game and didn’t make it home at his usual time so I ate the whole batch.  Luckily for our health, I’m back to craving normal, nutritious foods.  Fruit, veggies, full fat dairy, meats, grains, and peanut butter are all back into the rotation, and that last package of ramen is sitting forgotten in a dusty corner of the pantry.

Over all, it’s really nice to finally like myself and not the low-energy nauseous blob of brain farts I was for a couple months there.  It’s amazing that something the size of a key lime sapped so much liveliness and productivity from me!  There were times I sat on the couch staring at the ceiling because I felt too tired to watch TV.  That’s pitiful.

During the first trimester we had to choose between two very different care options.  Since we’re military living in the UK we had the choice to have prenatal care and the birth on the British National Health Service (NHS) hospital two miles away from our house or to go to the American hospital on RAF Lakenheath, an hour’s drive away.  The choice was really tough and we still question our decision. We know and trust the military health care system but are interested in as natural a birth as we can handle.  In addition to being so near, the NHS system is midwife-based and has birthing options that range from an OB-led hospital clinic to home water birth by midwife.  Is that even an option in the States?  The Lakenheath system is much more structured, of course. An IV and heart monitors are placed at the start of labor and the rooms are much more comfortable, but the C-section rates are much higher and I’d be lying on a table for hours.   Everyone has put their two cents in about the matter, but since Chris and I were both born abroad by midwife we figure we’d keep the trend going! 

All my appointments and care so far have been by midwife and if the pregnancy continues in a normal fashion I may never see a doc.  My midwives Judy and Debbie are great and reassuring.  Their general stance is that pregnancy and birth are natural phenomena and that mammas need to relax.  They’ve basically said I can do anything I did before I ‘fell’ pregnant, just modified (run, but slow; bike, but at the gym instead of on these crazy roads, etc) The only things they have forbidden are downhill skiing and more than a half glass of wine a few times a week.  I can handle that!

Tiny is already pretty well traveled, and I can honestly say that people (men, women, teenage waiters) in Greece love pregnancy and babies the most.  We stepped out of a taxi at our guesthouse in the Greek island of Kos and within ten seconds the matriarch of the family came straight at me with her hands extended, speaking a million-word-a-minute Greek.  Before I knew what had happened her hands were on my belly and she paused from her Greek tirade to look into my eyes and shout BABY!  Mind you, I was only 15 weeks and could’ve just been carrying a few extra pounds!  What a brave woman. 

I think my mom is most excited for this baby.  Her nickname for me has changed from Claireabelle to Claireabellly.  
Friends here have been incredibly generous with maternity clothes donations.  Chris’ mom sent me a belly band that let me wear my own jeans and resist maternity clothes for quite a while.  Then I finally got around to ‘just trying on’ some maternity jeans my friend Angela had brought over.   The second that stretchy band went over my belly I realized I was never going to wear normal jeans again (or at least not for the remainder of the pregnancy).  Men and women should all own a pair of these things at least for Thanksgiving afternoon and the entire two weeks surrounding Christmas.  Just this week another friend Sarah brought bags full of cute shirts, jeans, and sweaters so I’m pretty well set on wardrobe for the foreseeable future.  
Moses basket - one of the many things Angela is letting me borrow for the next few months.
 
One more exciting piece of news is that as of this week I'm feeling Tiny’s movement!  It's marginally less strange than I thought it would be, although still seriously odd knowing there's an alien knocking about in there.  Chris was also able to feel a couple kicks – I’ve never seen his eyes get so wide. 
We haven’t come up with any names and are looking for suggestions.  We tried to get Uncle Calvin to help but so far he’s come up with “Bull” and “Peesa”, neither of which works too well with our last name! Let us know if you have any suggestions or any advice J This already has been a crazy adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment