Thursday, August 22, 2013

Queenie's 60th Jubilee



Family and amazing neighbors!

It’s hard to believe my mom turned sixty this month.  I used to think that was the age of retirement, constant complaining about ‘the youths’, and rocking chairs.  Instead I have a Baby Boomer mother who looks fantastic, is a rock star at her job, is more active than 90% of my 30-yr old friends, and laughs out loud whenever she has the excuse.  By example and through constant and fair parenting, she taught me to be mentally and physically tough, to work hard, and to love without fear.  She also infected me with her love of travel, which explains why she and Benson were here last year for the Queen’s 60th (Diamond) Jubilee.  The Queen may have celebrated 60 years on the throne, but mom is our little Queenie and deserved some fanfare as well for her 60 years on earth. 
 
Like many families, ours has spread out over the years.  We do not have the luxury of easy family gatherings; the last time all of us were together was at mom and Benson’s wedding four years ago.   Aside from the fun of a family reunion, my grandparents turned 85 this year, and my granddad (Dziadzia) has been fighting lymphoma for years.  Our time together is becoming more and more precious!
That said, mom and my cousin Sarah started planning the Queenie’s Diamond Jubilee.  Everyone was coming, except Katherine who just couldn’t get away from Oxford that weekend and maybe Chris, whose funding to come back to the States for dental education had been canceled.  Mom tried to not be disappointed to have one or two missing but kept on smiling and planning.  Meanwhile, the party was taking on a life of its own.  Our party planner friend Melissa was taking care of the set-up, my friend and professional photographer Heather was coming to take a family photo, and the food was to be catered by the incredibly talented Chef Charles.   
As the party drew nearer, Dziadzia was feeling well enough from his radiation treatment to be able to travel.  Mom was thrilled.  Then Chris decided to come back to the States despite having to pay for his ticket and continuing education.  Mom was ecstatic.  

Chris flew out of England a week before me.  He went to Nashville to see his parents and attend his classes, then drive from there to Wisconsin (with his parents, brother, and 3-yr-old nephew) to go to his cousin Kristen’s wedding.   After all that, he flew to Charlotte, arriving the same day I did! 

I was getting in to Charlotte at 2:30 in the afternoon, but backtrack about 12 hours to me leaving the house, sitting in traffic for a couple hours to get to Heathrow, and then standing in line to get my bag checked.  I feel a SMACK across my backpack and turned around, exhausted at getting up at 5 AM, and ready to smack someone right back.  Except it’s Katherine standing behind me.  And she has a suitcase.  My foggy brain just couldn’t put two and two together.  She laughed when I asked where she was going.   “Surprise!  I bought my ticket last week!”  I cried right there in the US Air line.  So did Katherine.  My mom was going to absolutely freak.  Everyone was going to be together.
Calvin and Aunt Mary Ellen drove us back to mom's from the airport  and I gave hugs and kisses to everyone already there.  Mom was tending the bar and said “who wants a gin and tonic?” to which Katherine, sneaking around the corner, responded “I’ll take one.”  Mom looked at her.  Hard pause.  See the wheels turning and …. SCREEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM.  It was absolutely priceless. 
The couple days leading up to the party were a celebration in and of themselves.  Benson’s son’s family all came into town and stayed next door at the Magryta’s, Calvin and Colleen were staying two doors down at Charlie’s,  Katherine, Sarah, Dziadzia, Grandma, me and Chris were all upstairs at mom’s and Aunt Mary Ellen and Uncle John were a few minutes away in a peaceful hotel.  People wandered in and out of the house, played in the lake, chatted on the deck, and generally were merry. 
Speak softly and carry a big stick!
Queenie :)
The party itself was awesome.  We dodged thunderstorms to get a couple photos outside and had to change plans and eat in the porch but otherwise everything went really well.  Mom’s had asked for charms for a bracelet instead of other gifts and was amazed at peoples’ creativity!  Her bracelet is gorgeous and already full of memories. 
 
All four grandkids with Grandma and Dziadzia.

The whole family... together!!

Chef Charles working his magic.

Yummmy Farro Salad.
 

Colleen is so clever! 

All kids love bubbles!
 
Three generations.

Grandma and the bartender were thick as thieves when they found out they were from the same tiny town.

One last group shot before the rains came :)
 The end of the reunion was sad, but we are so fortunate to have had such great time together as a family.  Hopefully it won't take another four years to get everyone back together!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment